How to Paint Bicycle Rims — DIY
As kids, most of us would love to pick up the paint brush and get creative, sometimes on paper but more often than not, on the wall. Well, painting a bicycle rim is the same, just replace the wall with a bicycle rim. That’s right! It’s not as complicated as it sounds. And unlike your wall art, this is sure to get you compliments.
Things you will need to paint bicycle rims:
- A clean, grease-free bicycle rim
- duct tape/masking tape
- spray can/rattle can
- wheel mount(optional)
- And the will to do it
Before you get started:
Before you actually start the pain bicycle rims, you need to grab on to the
valve of the tube and release the air. Once you have done that, remove
the tyre and the tube using tyre levers.
Let’s get started:
- Before you paint bicycle rims, cover the spokes as close to the rim as possible using pieces of duct tape.
- Do this to all the spokes. With your spokes covered, it’s time to paint.
- Grab a spray can of your favorite color and as a precautionary measure, don’t forget to read the instructions on the back of the spray can.
- Shake the can and start spraying. Divide the wheel into small sections, it’ll make the job much easier. See to it that you hold the can not too far or too close to the rim. Holding it too close will cause the paint to smudge and drip off. Moreover, it won’t give you an even finishing. Holding it too far, will scatter the paint causing wastage.
- So be smart and plan before you start. Once you have sprayed the rim, set it aside and allow it to dry for a few hours. Remove the duct tape and you are good to go.
- Reinstall the tubing and the tyres.